About Discover Welling
Discover Welling is a community group which aims to help highlight all the good things about Welling as well as finding ways to help enhance the community spirit of Welling. We exist to build on what is good, not complain about things.
The group was originally called Progressive Welling and started on the back of a facebook conversation where people were discussing what shops they would like to see in Welling. Back in 2019, we carried out several events including a litter pick, Easter shop window trail and brought the first market to come to Welling with the Christmas Sparkle. We also crowdfunded to raise money for the Christmas lights so that we could light up more than the council grant provides for. People loved the Sparkle and we had great plans for 2020……..
Throughout the pandemic, we have been mainly just online with our social media pages, sharing all the positive stories of Welling and helping to promote the businesses and community groups. The Christmas market was cancelled in 2020, but we did still manage to get some Christmas lights.
We were also pleased that funding was able to provide us with this website for Welling that we have been gradually adding content to.
In 2021, as things started to open up a bit, we started to make plans, but unfortunately, a lack of volunteers has severely restricted what we have been able to do. We have quite a few ideas for great projects in Welling, but we have to work within our limits.
These are some of the projects and events that we would love to do over the next year if we can find the resources:
- Christmas Welling Sparkle – bigger than ever
- Welling gateways art installation project – different art pieces in various borders to Welling
- Poppy remembrance display
- Easter Activities
- Regular litter picking events
- Celebrations / Events to mark different special days in the calendar eg Diwali
- Welling Dynasties – stories of the family businesses that have been in Welling for decades
With the number of volunteers which we currently, have, it will only be possible to do a few of these activities, that is where we need YOUR help.
We have many ways that you could support Discover Welling, either as a volunteer, or just doing little tasks to help make the best of Welling. We are looking for:
- People to help organise events
- Helpers for fundraising stalls
- People to visit businesses to keep them informed of events and request donations where needed
- People to be eyes and ears for Welling and hopefully a representative to cover each shopping parade to let us know about new businesses, events etc
- Space to store equipment we would like to purchase
- Website content writers
- People to do weeding and planting
- Any rich people who would like to fund events 😊
Other ways you can help without being directly involved with Discover Welling include:
- Taking pictures around Welling and posting to google maps, social media etc
- Local guide on google maps – reporting any wrong information you see in Welling
- Reviewing things – post google reviews, trust pilot, trip advisor etc to help promote our businesses
- Report things to fixmystreet
We are looking out for general volunteers who can do things like help with events, organising events, creating content for the website, speaking to local businesses etc etc.
If you would like to volunteer in any capacity, please fill out the form below and indicate your areas of interest.
There is another form below that for businesses, clubs or community groups who would like to be included for free on our website.